The Business of Acting is such an important topic. However, you would be surprised how many actors lack knowledge in this topic or overlook it altogether. Why do you think it is called “show business?” It is called this because that is exactly what it is. I have seen way too many actors struggle with their careers because they did not know and understand the business side of acting. If you are striving to become a successful working actor, you need to know how to break into the business, plus how to start and sustain relationships in the industry. Getting to know the business side of acting means learning how to make industry professionals want to know you. It is all about knowing how to get yourself seen and known in the industry.
The industry is changing, and you need to know what those changes are and how they will affect your acting career. When talking to many industry professionals, they have informed me that many actors (both emerging and experienced) actors lack knowledge on the business side of the industry. If you want to be a working actor these days, you need to know and understand how the industry works from all sides. You cannot just look at the entertainment industry from an actor’s perspective. This is one of the biggest mistakes most actors make, especially new ones entering the industry. Gone are the days where it was enough just to be talented. Do not get me wrong, you need to be talented and trained. However, you also need to know how to run your acting career as a business. So how do you do that? This is why you need to learn some tips on the Business of Acting:
1. Create a career plan. Sit down and write a detailed plan of what you want to accomplish as an actor and how you will reach those goals. For example, if you want to be a voice actor, how will you make this happen? What classes will you take? How will you get your agent? How will you find and meet the casting directors that audition actors for voice over jobs? How will you find and book voiceover jobs? How long do you think it will take you to accomplish the goal of becoming a voice actor? You get the idea. As you can see, it is important that you learn how to create and launch an action plan for career success.
2. Take the time to know and understand the business aspects of the industry. Know what your role is as an actor and what other industry professionals (agents, casting directors, producers, directors, etc.) expect from you. When you know this, you will be an actor that is better prepared to meet their expectations.
3. Understand that the role of agents, managers, casting directors, and other industry professionals are changing. They are facing new demands on their careers. If you understand what these changes are, you will be better prepared to be an actor that industry professionals want to hire and work with.
4. Know what your “brand” is as an actor. If you know what your brand is, you will know how to market yourself to specific industry professionals that can get you more work. Speaking of marketing, do not rely on your agent to do everything for you. Smart actors are proactive. They know all about self-promotion and how to do it well.
5. Create your own opportunities. Learn how to get acting work on your own. Furthermore, learn the tips how to get industry professionals to contact you instead of waiting for the phone to ring. Now, that is something so many actors know nothing about. If you can learn how to do this, you are already ahead of the competition.
If you are a struggling actor who wants to learn more tips on the business side of showbiz, I am here to help. Contact me via email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1 (888) 436-7744 to book an appointment for a Career Consultation. Let us work together to come up with an action and career plan for you.
*Disclaimer: Talent Unleashed is NOT a talent or employment agency. It is also NOT a talent counselling service or casting office. The company does not promise or secure employment, jobs, auditions, castings, or bookings for actors. Additionally, taking a workshop with an industry expert, using a marketing service, or career consultations are NOT a guarantee of future employment. Workshops and services provided by Talent Unleashed are solely to help actors to increase their chances of succeeding in the entertainment industry. Starting an acting career is not an easy endeavour to pursue. As an actor, it is your responsibility to do all that you can to succeed in the entertainment industry. However, with hard work, determination, and motivation from your mentors, you can achieve your acting dreams.